Florida was named by the Spanish transplant and explorer Juan Ponce de León. It is Spanish for land of flowers.
At over 21 million people, it is the country’s third most populous state in the United States and is the home of St. Augustine – the oldest European settlement in the country!
Florida’s coral barrier reef system is the third most extensive in the world.
Florida is the second biggest producer of orange juice in the world. Florida is the only place in the world where crocodiles and alligators live in the same habitat. I t is the 29th most obese state in the US.
Located in Florida are The Cape Canaveral Air Force Center and The Kennedy Space Center which has been the site of every US space flight launch since 1968.
In 1982 the Florida Keys announced themselves as an independent nation under the name of “The Conch Republic”. Unfortunately for them, their independence only lasted for two minutes.
Did you know that Sarasota, Florida is home to one of the only Amish beach resorts in the world?
Here are Florida’s Funny Laws:
(1) It is illegal for unmarried girls to skydive on Sunday.
(2) It is illegal to sing in public while wearing a swimwear.
(3) You need an official license to skateboard on Florida’s streets.
(4) Men Cannot Wear Strapless Dresses.
(5) A woman electrocuted in the bathtub using beauty tools can be fined after she’s dead: Good Lord, what were these people thinking?!