So, you’ve decided to move to West Virginia, the only state completely within the Appalachian Mountain range, aptly given the nickname the Mountain State. While you are traveling around enjoying nature, be sure to visit the New River Gorge Bridge, it is the longest steel arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere.
West Virginia formed after breaking away from Virginia during the Civil War, and it was home to the first land battle of the Civil War at the Battle of Philippi in 1861.
The USS West Virginia was hit during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 – a date which will live in infamy. The mast from the ship now lives on West Virginia University’s campus, in front of Oglebay Hall.
When you move to West Virginia you will be able to see the world without leaving the state. West Virginia has towns named Athens, Berlin, Cairo, Calcutta, Geneva, and Shanghai.
Like everywhere else in the United States, West Virginia has some pretty Funny Laws:
(1) You may be fined for wearing a hat in a theater.
(2) Participating in a duel disqualifies you for public office.
(3) You could be jailed for six months for taunting someone who doesn’t want to participate in a duel.
(4) One may not walk a lion, tiger, or leopard, even if they’re on a leash.
(5) It is illegal to snooze on a train.