Congratulations on your move to Virginia. In case you are wondering about the name of this great state you are relocating to? It was named after Queen Elizabeth I, who was called the Virgin Queen. But Virginia Gave Birth To West Virginia & Kentucky.
Here is some history for you history buffs: In 1607, Jamestown—the first English colony in what would become the United States—was founded in Virginia, William & Mary is the second oldest college in the country, the American Revolution ended in Yorktown and so did the Civil War in Appomattox, the first Thanksgiving was in Virginia, and eight U.S. presidents were born in Virginia – : George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, and Woodrow Wilson.
Here are some other fun facts about the state you are transferring to – Many words we use today came from Virginia’s Native American languages such as raccoon, moccasin, hickory, moose, skunk, and chipmunk, Virginia is home to the largest office building in the world – the Pentagon, and, get this all you techies, after California, Virginia has the second highest concentration of tech workers of any state in the U.S.
Like all other states Virginia has some pretty Funny Laws:
(1) It’s illegal to tickle women. Please be a lover, not a tickler.
(2) It’s legal for a man to beat his wife on the courthouse steps, but he must do so before 8:00 p.m. (Stafford County).
(3) It’s illegal to sell lettuce and peanut brittle on Sundays.
(4) It’s illegal for bathtubs to be inside the home. Instead, they must be in the yard of the home.
(5) It’s illegal for kids to go trick-or-treating on Halloween.