Maine is the only state with a one-syllable name. It is also the only state that shares its borders with only one other US state – New Hampshire. Its other borders are shared with the Canadian provinces of Quebec and New Brunswick. Maine is the largest of the six New England states.
The Vikings are believed to have first discovered Maine around 1,000 years ago. But it wasn’t until March 15,1820 that Maine was established as the 23rd state as part of the Missouri compromise. The capital is Augusta.
As you get ready to relocate to Maine here are some fun facts that you should know:
Portland in Oregon is named after Portland in Maine.
90% of the country’s lobster supply comes from Maine – nearly 96 million lb. per year.
90% of Maine is forested, which makes it one of the world’s best producers of paper.
Maine has, 65 lighthouses that were built over the past two centuries.
Maine is the single largest producer of blueberries in the United States.
Donut holes were invented in Maine.
And here are some on the Funny Laws that exist in Maine:
(1) It’s illegal to step out of an airplane once it’s in flight.
(2) You will be fined if your holiday lights are left up any later than January 14th.
(3) In Augusta, it is illegal to walk down the street playing the violin.
(4) If you’re a Rumford resident, it’s illegal to bite your landlord.
(5) It is illegal to keep an armadillo as a pet in Maine.