If you’re moving to Illinois and you’re thinking “big city” as in Chicago, you may have it all wrong. Almost 80% of Illinois is farmland because it is a very flat state.
Before relocating to Illinois, you should know that Illinois is the fifth most populous state in the country following Florida, New York California, and Texas, and it generates more nuclear power than any other state.
Chicago is the third largest city in the United States, Sears Tower in Chicago is the tallest building in the United States.
Ronald Reagan is the only president to have been born in Illinois.
When you move to Illinois you are proudly moving to the first state in the U.S. to ratify the Constitution’s 13th amendment which abolished slavery.
Illinois’ is home to the world’s only river that flows backward. The Chicago River’s direction of flow was reversed by man-made canals from 1892-1922. It was, and still is, considered an engineering marvel.
Chicago’s nickname, “The Windy City” does not come from its cold wintery winds, but from an article describing long-winded politicians during an1893 exhibition.
Some of the Funny Laws in Illinois:
(1) In Normal, it is illegal to make faces at dogs.
(2) It is illegal to give a pet a cigar.
(3) It’s illegal to eat in a burning building.
(4) In Chicago, it is illegal to take a French poodle to the opera.
(5) In Kenilworth, a rooster must stand back 300 feet from a residence if it wishes to crow.