When you move to Alabama, you are moving to the “Heart of Dixie”. And it was here in this dixie heartland that Jesse James became a resident – what a distinction!
The state of Alabama has an all-water mail route. Mail is moved daily by a river boat and is the only state in the continental US to have that distinction.
NASA relocated many of their scientists to Huntsville, Alabama where they built the first rocket to put humans on the moon. Apollo 11 landed on the moon in 1969. Because of this, Huntsville is now known as the rocket capital of the world.
Aren’t you glad that Christmas is a national holiday, and you are paid to not work on that day? You can thank Alabama for that. In 1836, Alabama was the first state to recognize Christmas as a legal holiday! The rest of the nation didn’t follow suit until 1870.
Alabama has some Funny Laws – here they are:
(1) Putting salt on a railroad track can be punishable by death.
(2) In Montgomery, it’s illegal to open an umbrella on a street.
(3) In Lee County, it’s illegal to sell peanuts after sundown on Wednesdays.
(4) It’s illegal for someone to drive while blindfolded.
(5) In Anniston, it’s illegal to wear blue jeans while walking down Noble Street.